Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Hospital Tour-December 7, 2008

We went on a hospital tour on Sunday with BJ & Ashely and Kim & Michael. It was super helpful. But I have to admit, it made everything very real for me. I've never been admitted to the hospital for anything, so as I was standing there in a room that will look just like the one that I will be in, and it was kinda nerve racking. It made me nervous. But I keep telling myself that by the time it gets here and I'm in that room, I won't care about a thing. I'll just want it over with. So, for now, that's what I'm going with.
So the nurse that gave us a tour is a friend on Ashley's. She is a nurese in the maternity unit at Matthews. Really nice. She answered all of our questions and even some that we hadn't even thought about. We got a tour of all the different rooms, she showed us what all the tools in the room are used for, we got to visit the nursery and we saw the area where the c-sections happen. Not an actual room, but where they would take a patient needing a c-section.
The boys asked questions and poor Michael got more information than he as hoping for (he has a weak stomach). We learned that we get to stay in the same room throughout the whole process, unless it's a c-section. We have the option of allowing the nurses to take the baby from 11pm til 6am, which is highly recommended, so we can get some much needed rest. The hospital supplies eveything that we will need, Dad's get a cot or a chair to sleep on and the nurses have no problems being the "bad guy's" when it comes to visting and mom being "over-it".
All in all, we had a great tour and left with some helpful information. We're now much more prepared for what's in store for us.
I'll have even more information once we take the birthing class. It's this weekend.

No comments: