Saturday, August 23, 2008

Doctor's Appointment-Heard the Heartbeat-August 22, 2008

We finally got to hear the heartbeat today. It was sooo loud. I had prepared myself for it to take the nurse a minute or so to find it, I have heard that it could take a little bit to find. But as soon as she put the doppler on my belly, there it was. It's beating at 168 beats per minute. They like to have the beats between 120bpm and 170bpm. So we are in the range. They say the higher the heart rate means a girl and the lower the heart rate means a boy. So what will it be? I also hear that the younger the fetus, the higher the heartbeat. So who knows! We'll find out t 18 weeks though.
I also found out that my blood type is O negative. Which means that I have to have the RHO shot at 28 weeks. Then if the baby's blood type is positive, then I have to have it again after delivery. This is to protect the fetus in the next pregnancy. My antibodies could attack the next pregnancy. The shot at 28 weeks is to protect this pregnancy. The negative Rh factor could cause illness in the fetus and low birth weight. I did a bit of research this morning on it and I found out that O negative is the universal doner type, meaning anyone can accept my blood. But I can only accept O negative blood.
So there is a little science lesson for you. I hope you took notes, there will be a quiz tomorrow!

No comments: