Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Haven is HERE!!!- March 11, 2009







Baby Haven is finally here. It sure took him long enough. We are so excited. He arrived on Wednesday, March 11 at 7:36pm, via c-section. He weighed in at a whopping 8 lbs 14 oz and was 21 inches long. He had brown eyes and a head full of dark brown hair. He is the most beautiul thing Kelly and I have ever seen.



I went into my doctor's appointment on Tuesday, to be checked, and since I had not dilated (just like I thought) they told me to go ahead and check into the hospital to start cervadil. We were allowed to get some dinner first, so we went to South 21 before we checked in. And boy was I glad we did, cause I didn't get anymore solid food food until Friday morning. We got all checked in and by 6:15 I was given the cervadil. I didn't feel to much going on until about 11pm, then I was starting to fell some contractions. Nothing unbearable. I tossed and turned most of the next few hours and at 2:30am my water broke. I felt a pop and then some gushing. I called the nurse and she confirmed it. I was now in active labor. So I tried to go back to sleep, but the contractions got stronger. Still nothing unbearable. I was able to get my epidural around noon and I was Sooooo ready for it by then. I was comfortable for quite a while after that. I was checked again at 3:45ish and was fully dilated. I began pushing at 4pm. I pushed for 2 hours but he wasn't getting far enough down in my pelvis. Apparantly my pelvic bone is narrow, so he was having a hard time getting past it. The nurse decides to let me rest for a few minutes and then she changed her mind and decided to up my epidural and let me sleep for 30 minutes. I thought this was strange, so I figured something must be up. She and Dr. Barnes come in 30 minutes later and he checks me and tells me that I have 2 choices. 1- I can push for another hour and see if I make some progress or 2- go ahead with a c-section. I asked him what he would do and he said he did not think that I would make any progress in pushing for another hour (my pelvis was just too small) and I would have to have a c-section anyway. He would go ahead with the c-section now and not exhaust himself. So I spoke with Kelly and my mom and they agreed. Kelly wanted everything to be ok with both of us and he wanted it to be over. So we decided to have a c-section. They prepped me and I was in the operating room. He was born shortly afterwards. I was very groggy afterwards and fell asleep when I was wheeled back to my room. I finally got to hold him when I woke up and it was awesome.



People have asked me "What was the worst part of the whole thing?" And honestly, the worst part is the recovery process from the c-section. The labor was not bad, the pushing was not bad and the c-section was painless. The getting up and moving around afterwards with the soreness is absolutely the worst part of it. Everything else was totally bearable. But Haven is completely worth all of it!!!

No comments: